Potato Sausage - Potatis Skorv (recipe)
Total Time 45 mins- Prep 30 mins -Cook 15 mins
To stuff the casings, you will need a meat grinder with a sausage horn attachment. If you don't have such a device, use the mixture to make fried patties by shaping 1/4 cup of filling into a 1/2 inch thick patty and frying in hot oil until golden brown on both sides.
(From the local news paper)
Yield 20 pounds Units US
5 lbs ground pork
5 lbs ground beef
10 lbs red potatoes (peeled, cubed and ground)
10 medium onions (peeled, quartered and ground)
8 1⁄2 tablespoons salt
7 1⁄2 teaspoons allspice
5 teaspoons sugar
2 1⁄2 teaspoons black pepper (or more)
2 1⁄2 teaspoons white pepper
2 1⁄2 cups milk or water
2 1⁄2 lbs casings
- To prepare casings: Let casings soak in cool water about five minutes to remove salt on outer surface (no longer, or they will become too tender to stuff) and flush salt from the inside by placing one end on faucet nozzle and turn on cold tap water (if you see holes or water leaking, cut and discard).
- Remove casing from faucet and gently squeeze out water; cover rinsed casings and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Using the grinder attachment on mixer or a table grinder; grind meat, potatoes and onions together into a large roasting pan.
- Using clean hands, mix the ingredients together with spices.
- Add milk or water and mix again.
- Load casings onto funnel nozzle then stuff ground mix into funnel to fill casings into 18-inch length sausage; tie ends and make links by twisting the sausage where you wish the links to be.
- Four inches is a good size for a regular serving, smaller links may be made for appetizer servings.
- Place the sausages in large saucepan or dutch oven in a single layer with a little water; cover and heat over high heat to a low simmer.
- Reduce heat to maintain low simmer (sausages may burst if cooked at too high a heat) until the sausage is heated through, approximately 15 minutes.
- Precook sausages before freezing.
Potato Sausage Recipe
15 lbs. Potatoes
4 lbs. Beef (ground)
3 lbs. Onions
3 lbs. Pork (ground)
1/3 cup Rye flour
1/3 cup unbleached all purpose flour
5 tbs. Sea Salt (fine)
4 tbs. Black Pepper
3 tsp. Allspice (ground)
2 tsp. Nutmeg (ground)
1 cup Buttermilk
Using a meat/sausage grinder:
Alternately grind into a container... Pork,Onions,Potatoes after peeled and quartered(keep potatoes in cold/salted/lemon juiced water to keep color).
Combine with ground Beef. Mix well.
Combine all dry ingredients. Pour dry ingredients over meat,potato,onion mixture.
Add Buttermilk and mix well with plastic gloved hands. Now you are ready to stuff into sausage casings (12" links) or make into patties.
Cooking- Boil links in water after poking a few small holes (toothpick) in sausage casings to keep from bursting low/medium heat 40 minutes.
Package and freeze fairly quickly-Very perishible!
"Makes approximately 25 sausage links" (Yield 25 Pound Units US)
I hope you enjoy my Scandinavian holiday recipe.