Matthew Day (born 28 September 1971  , credited as Matt Day , is an Australian actor and filmmaker
Day was born in Melbourne , Victoria .  When he was 11 years old, he went to live in the United States with his father, a newspaper correspondent, where he became interested in acting. On his return to Australia, he attended University High School in Parkville, Melbourne and joined St Martins Youth Arts Centre in South Yarra .
Day was spotted by an agent at the age of 14 and was soon cast in his first role in the ABC children's television series c/o The Bartons . At 17, he left his home in Carlton and relocated to Sydney for the role in the television series A Country Practice that was to be his first big break.
He has since gone on to established a reputation as one of Australia’s leading film, television and theatre actors, appearing in numerous Australian television series and telemovies including Rake , Tangle , Hell Has Harbour Views , My Brother Jack and Paper Giants: The Birth of Cleo . Feature credits include Touch , My Year Without Sex , Love and Other Catastrophes , Muriel’s Wedding , Woody Allen’s Scoop , and Kiss or Kill , for which he received nominations for a Film Critic Circle Award and an AFI Award for Best Actor. His international television credits include Shackleton with Kenneth Branagh, The Hound of the Baskervilles , The Commander , Spooks , Hotel Babylon , Secret Diary of a Call Girl and Bruce Beresford’s And Starring Pancho Villa as Himself .
Short films as writer/director include Beat (2011 St Kilda Film Festival) My Everything (2003 Toronto Short Film Festival) and Wish (Turner Classic Shorts 2008 Winner - Special Mention, London Film Festival, Encounters Short Film Festival, Foyle Film Festival, Edinburgh International Film Festival, Stockholm Film Festival).
Day's parents divorced when he was young. His mother, an English teacher, took him around Europe for six months when he was 7 and his brother Michael was 9. He said later that "the whole experience went definitely some way to influencing my wanderlust".
Day moved with his wife, journalist Kirsty Thomson, to London in 2000, not returning to Australia until 2007. The couple now live in Sydney and have two sons, Jackson and Rufus.
- Sweet Country (2017)
- Touch (2015)
- My Year Without Sex (2009).
- Scoop (2006).
- And Starring Pancho Villa as Himself (2003).
- Muggers (2000).
- The Sugar Factory (1998).
- Doing Time for Patsy Cline (1997).
- The Two-Wheeled Time Machine (1997).
- Kiss or Kill (1997).
- Dating the Enemy (1996).
- Love and Other Catastrophes (1996).
- Muriel's Wedding (1994).
- The Outlaw Michael Howe (2013)
- Rake (2010–16, 32 episodes).
- Paper Giants: The Birth of Cleo (2011)
- Tangle (2009–10, 16 episodes).
- Underbelly: The Golden Mile (2010, 3 episodes).
- The Informant (2008)
- The Commander (The Devil you know)
- Spooks (2006, 2 episodes).
- Hotel Babylon (2006, 1 episode).
- Hell Has Harbour Views (2005).
- Wild Down Under (2003) narrator
- Shackleton (2002).
- My Brother Jack (2001).
- Farscape (2000, 3 episodes).
- The Love of Lionel's Life (2000).
- Water Rats (1996, 1 episode).
- The Beast (1996).
- Snowy River: The McGregor Saga (1995, 1 episode).
- The Bob Morrison Show (1994, 26 episodes).
- A Country Practice (1989–93, 227 episodes).
- House Rules (1988)
- c/o The Bartons (1987)
- North By Northwest , Melbourne Theatre Company , Melbourne, 2015.
- The Wonderful World of Dissocia, Sydney Theatre Company , Sydney, 2009.
- Scarlett O'Hara At the Crimson Parrot, Arts Centre Playhouse, Melbourne , 2008.
- Fred , Sydney Theatre Company, Sydney, 1999.
- Six Degrees of Separation , Sydney Theatre Company, Sydney, 1998.
- Man of the Moment , Ensemble Productions Theatre, Sydney
- The Game of Love and Chance , New England Theatre Company
- Black Rabbit , Playbox Theatre Company