"At the time when His Majesty Akbar went to Kashmir, a fort had been built on the bank of that river. Having brought to this fort a body of Gujars who had passed their time in the neighbourhood in thieving and highway robbery, he established them here. As it had become the abode of Gujars, he made it a separate pargana, and gave it the name of Gujrat."
Gujrat is an ancient city of Pakistan located between two famous rivers, Jhelum River and Chenab River. It is bounded to the northeast by Jammu and Kashmir, to the northwest by the Jhelum River, to the east and southeast by the Chenab River, separating it from the districts of Gujranwala and Sialkot; and to the west by Mandi Bahauddin District. Gujrat consists of three Tehsils which are Sarai Alamgir, Kharian and Gujrat.
People from Gujrat
- Syed Barket Ali Shah,Educationist,Social worker
- Yasmin Qureshi, British MP
- Rizwan Cheema, Canadian cricketer
- Ejaz Durrani, Pakistanin actor
- Chaudhry Zahoor Elahi, Pakistani politician
- Moonis Elahi, politician
- Anwar Masood, poet
- Aitzaz Ahsan, barrister
- Chaudhry Ahmed Mukhtar, Former Minister for Defense, Government of Pakistan
- Chaudhry Muhammad Jaffar Iqbal, Vice-President of PML-N Punjab
- Chaudhry Pervaiz Elahi, former Chief Minister of Punjab & Federal Minister.
- Chaudhry Shujat Hussain, former Prime Minister of Pakistan
- Fakhar Zaman, poet and scholar
- Fazal Ilahi Chaudhry, President of Pakistan 1972–1977
- Mian Imran Masood, former MPA of Gujrat and Minister of Education Punjab.
- Mian Muhammad Afzal Hayat, former Chief Minister of Punjab and served as ambassador in different countries
- Nawabzada Gazanfar Ali Gul, former Federal Minister of Pakistan
- Orya Maqbool Jan, writer, poet
- Qamar Zaman Kaira, politician
- Raheel Shareef, Chief of Army Staff of the Pakistan Army
- Raja Aziz Bhatti, Nishan-e-Haider (Highest Military Decoration), Major Shaheed 1965 Indo-Pak war
- Sabiha Khanum, actress
- Shabbir Sharif, Nishan-e-Haider (Highest Military Decoration), Martyred Major of the 1971 Indo-Pak war
- Sharif Kunjahi, Punjabi poet
- Alam Lohar, Punjabi Folk Singer
- Arif Lohar, Folk singer
- Ahsan Mateen Malik, President Gujrat Lions Club.
- NTK News Agency
- Daily Kafeel
- Daily Jazba
- Daily Daak
- Shana Bashana
- gujrat time
- Monthly Uthaan
- daily punjab
- Kotla Times
- warraich group
Daily Tasweer E Watan Gujrat Pakistan Chief Editor Wajahat Ali Gurchani