Buck Angel is an American trans man , adult film producer, and motivational speaker. He is the founder of Buck Angel Entertainment, a media production company. He received the 2007 AVN Award as Transsexual Performer of the Year, and works as an advocate, educator, lecturer, and writer. Angel has served on the Board of Directors of the Woodhull Sexual Freedom Alliance     since 2010; the foundation works to affirm sexual freedom as a fundamental human right through advocacy and education. 
Angel was born in the San Fernando Valley area of Los Angeles, California,  assigned female, and named Susan.  Growing up as a tomboy , his gender-atypical behavior during childhood was generally accepted at home, but once his secondary sex characteristics began to develop at around age 16, his home life became increasingly tense. 
After a suicidal gesture in high school, his parents sent him to therapy, where he first stated that he felt like a man. This was not well received by his family, and according to Angel, "They were going to put me in a mental institution." Unaware of the existence of treatments for gender dysphoria such as hormone replacement therapy , he lived for years as female, during which time he took drugs and drank alcohol. Though he was employed as a female professional model, he was generally dissatisfied with his identity and existence, and "was not loving life". 
Adult film career
Angel began to produce and star in his own line of adult films under the imprint Buck Angel Entertainment. By this time he identified and presented as male, but had not had any genital surgery and still had a vulva , so he promoted these works describing himself as "The Man With a Pussy".
In 2005, he appeared in the Titan Media release Cirque Noir , becoming the first trans man to be featured in an all-male film produced by a company specializing in gay male porn.   The same year he performed in Allanah Starr's Big Boob Adventures (directed by transsexual Gia Darling ), which featured the first filmed sex scene between a trans woman ( Allanah Starr ) and a trans man.  The performance was nominated for the AVN Award s' "Most Outrageous Sex Scene". In 2007 Angel became the first and only trans man to win Transsexual Performer of the Year at the AVN Awards.  His 2008 performance in Buckback Mountain received nominations for "Best Alternative Release" and "Best Specialty Release" at the GayVN Awards .
Angel appeared in Naked , a 2008 documentary book and film about the adult film industry, by director Ed Powers . In the film he appears in a sex scene with porn star Wolf Hudson , produced by mainstream photographer Justin Lubin. 
In 2012, Angel began to transition from the porn industry to sex education  and began touring the world speaking about human sexuality. He coined the catchphrase "it's not what's between your legs that defines you" and his presentation "Bucking the System"  re-defines traditional notions of gender by educating his audience about gender fluidity and identity politics . Angel also tours to do Q & A sessions about his documentary, "Sexing the Transman  " and the autobiographical film "Mr. Angel".  He has made appearances at many universities around the world, as well as Pride events  and film festivals.  He has spoken at Sex Week at Yale University  and at IdeaCity10 in Toronto . 
In October 2010, Angel contributed to Dan Savage 's " It Gets Better " project by uploading his own personal coming out story to YouTube.  He has also produced multiple public service announcements on the topics of positive body image, LGBTQ family acceptance, queer people of colour and transgender health and well-being.  Angel also engages in education about safe sex for trans men.
In 2012, Angel became a contributor to "The Feminist Porn Book",  an anthology by feminist scholars and workers about understanding pornography and how feminists direct, act in, produce and consume porn.
Between 2010 and 2015, he created an award-winning series about trans male sexuality called "Sexing The Transman XXX", which is now in its fourth installment. This film won "Most Tantalizing Trans Film" at the "Feminist Porn Awards" in 2012. 
Angel has appeared on various talk shows including those of Howard Stern , Tyra Banks , and Maury Povich ; as well as Secret Lives of Women in the US, the Morning Show in the UK, and the Jensen Show in the Netherlands.
British artist Marc Quinn included a life-size sculpture of Angel in his global tour.   Angel posed for Quinn's sculpture series on human transformations in 2010; the series was revealed at London's White Cube gallery. He was featured in four different bronze sculptures including two solo pieces, and two with Allanah Starr .  The life-sized sculpture of Angel is now a permanent fixture at the Adelaide Museum of Art. 
Angel created "Trantastic Storytelling" in 2015, a service which offers opportunities for transgender people to share their life experiences for educational purposes. 
In 2016, Angel partnered with Perfect Fit Brand to create a sex toy specifically for the FTM trans people. The product is meant to reduce gender dysphoria and help transmen connect with their bodies and their sexuality. 
Awards and nominations
- In January 2007, he won Transsexual Performer of the Year at the AVN Awards . 
- In 2008, 2009, and 2010, he was nominated for Transsexual Performer of the Year. He remains the only FTM transsexual ever to have been nominated for or to win this award.
- In April 2008, he was presented with a "Feminist Porn Award" for "Boundary Breaker of the Year." 
- In 2012, he won the Feminist Porn Award for his groundbreaking film Sexing The Transman XXX.
- In 2012, he won Best FTM Performer of the Year at the Tranny Awards . This is the first year this award was given.
- In 2015, he won the PORyes Award (Feminist Pornfilmpreis Europe) in Berlin 
- In 2015, Angel won the Ida Feldman award at the 23rd Brazil Mix Festival 
- In 2016, he was given an Honorary Award at the Tel Aviv Film Festival 
Angel met his second wife, body piercer Elayne Angel, on a dating website  and the two married in New Orleans on November 17, 2003.   Elayne filed for divorce in May 2014.  Angel claimed that she had moved $500,000 out of their joint bank account and requested $2000 in monthly spousal support.  In an effort to avoid alimony payments, Elayne claimed that their marriage should not have been legally recognized because Louisiana did not recognize same-sex marriage in 2003 and Buck has never had his genitals surgically altered and his birth certificate was not updated to male until after they were married.    In August 2014, the California Superior Court ruled that their marriage was valid due to the ambiguity in Louisiana's statute regarding sex reassignment surgery, which could include the "top-surgery" that Angel has received.   
- 2004: "Buck's Beaver"
- 2005: "The Adventures of Buck Naked"
- 2005: "Cirque Noir"
- 2005: "Allanah Starr's Big Boob Adventures"
- 2006: "Buck Off"
- 2006: "V for Vagina"
- 2006: "The Buck Stops Here"
- 2007: "Even More Bang for Your Buck Vol.1"
- 2008: "Even More Bang for your Buck Vol.2"
- 2008: "Buckback Mountain"
- 2009: "Ultimate Fucking Club Vol. 1"
- 2009: "Ultimate Fucking Club Vol.2"
- 2010–12: "Sexing The Transman XXX Series"
- 2016: "Girl/Boy" (Evil Angel)
- 2008: "NAKED"
- 2012: "Sexing the Transman"
- 2013: "Mr. Angel"
- 2016: "The Trans List" (HBO)
- 2016: "Finding Kim"
- 2016: "BLOWN"
- 1993: Porno for Pyros - "Cursed Female"
- 2015: "Technical Difficulties of Intimacy"
- 2016: Appeared in the video for "Bi", a song by Alicia Champion. 
- 2016: Loki Starfish - "Shivers are Proof" (Paris) 
Lectures and Screenings
- 2014 - 2016: UCSB University of California (Santa Barbara, CA, USA), lecture on trans male sexuality
- 2015: Metropolitan State University (Denver, CO, USA), "Sexing the Transman"
- 2015: Guelph Sexuality Conference (Guelph, ON, Canada), "Bucking the System"
- 2015: IvyQ Cornell University (Ithaca, NY, USA), "Sexing the Transman"
- 2015: AASECT (American Association of Sexuality Educators, Counselors and Therapists) Conference (San Juan, PR, USA) "Sexing the Transman"
- 2016: Dan Savage's HUMP World Tour (USA), "BLOWN"
- 2016: Ben-Gurion University (Israel), lecture on trans male sexuality
- 2016: Steamworks Chicago (Chicago, IL, USA), lecture on safe sex with transmen
- 2016: University of Oregon Eugene (Eugene, OR, USA), lecture at the law centre