Having had his entire early education in Lahore he did his M.A. from Islamia College Civil Lines Lahore and later PhD in the subject of Philosophy from the University of the Punjab. Throughout, he was a University/Government scholarship holder,also securing top position in the University twice:once in the Intermediate (Arts)-1954 and then in B.A.Hons(Arabic)-1956.He did his M.A. in 1958 and Ph.D on the subject."Sir Sayyid Ahmad Khan on Nature Man and God" in 1978. He received Roll of Honour (academic)at the Islamia College,Civil Lines Lahore twice-1956 and 1958.Besides,he was awarded M.A. Ghani Gold Medal on his B.A. result and College Silver Medal on the Intermediate result.
Immediately after M.A. Dr.Abdul Khaliq started his teaching career as lecturer, Islamia College Civil Lines Lahore.After about 2 years of stay there he joined as lecturer, Government Intermediate (later-Degree) College Gujarkhan, Rawalpindi.He continued to serve in this College till 1967 when he finally joined the Teaching Faculty of the Department of Philosophy at the University of the Punjab Lahore. Serving in the University for more than 28 years he retired on 14 June 1995 as Iqbal Professor and Chairman of the Department.During his tenure of service in the University he regularly edited the Departmental Journal Al-Hikmat every year and organized and conducted a number of Annual Iqbal Memorial Lectures by eminent scholars from Pakistan as well as from abroad.He supervised scores of research theses of M.A. students and produced a number of Ph.Ds as their official guide, supervisor and Internal Examiner. He attended various international conferences including International Iqbal Congresses, Lahore 1977, 1983 and 1998 and the International Conference of Muslim Scholars, Islamabad 1981.He delivered a number of extension lectures at Lahore Arts Forum, Islamic Philosophical Association, meetings of Pakistan Philosophical Congress Sessions, Pakistan Naval War College, National Institute of Public Administration, Pakistan Administrative Staff College and so on.He traveled to the University of Pennsylvania (USA)in 1982 on the invitation of the American Institute of Pakistan Studies, as Visiting Professor.
After his superannuation Dr.Abdul Khaliq did not stop teaching. For 3 years he taught various courses at Institute of Leadership and Management, National University of Science and Technology and Institute of Business Administration (PU), and then from 1998 to 2006 he worked as the Visiting Faculty at Government College University Lahore and delivered lectures to post-graduate classes. In 2006, Higher Education Commission appointed him to the prestigious position of Senior Educationist and Researcher for 2 years. To avail of this honor he came back to his parent Department at the University of the Punjab, Lahore. During these 2 years he worked on the manuscript of his forthcoming book"Problems of Muslim Mysticism" and delivered lectures to the post-graduate classes.
For a number of years during his entire active professional life he worked as the Elected President of the Pakistan Philosophical Congress which is the only organization of its kind in the whole Muslim World. In that capacity he organized a number of Annual Moots which were attended by delegates from all over Pakistan as well as from other countries who presented their scholarly papers and participated in discussions.
As to the written research work of Dr.Abdul Khaliq, his main field of interest has been Islamic/Muslim Philosophy and Qur'an Studies. In the following is given the list of his books published so far along with the years of their publication and the names of the Publishers. This will be followed by the list of his Articles published and the Journals etc. in which they appeared.
|Muslim Falsafa (co-author:prof.Yousuf Shaidaee)||1987||Aziz Publishers,Lahore|
|Mabadiat-e-Falsafa (co-author:prof.Yousuf Shaidaee)||1989||Punjab Text Book Board|
|Problems of Muslim Theology||1989||Izhar Sons,Lahore|
|Qur'an Studies:A Philosophical Appraisal||1990||Victory Book Bank, Lahore|
|Elements of Philosophy||1990||Punjab Text Book Board|
|Sir Sayyid Ahmad Khan on Nature Man and God||1993||Bazm-e-Iqbal,Lahore|
|Iqbal Studies and the Journal of Philosophical Congress (Editor)||1993||Bazm-e-Iqbal,Lahore|
|Masa'il-e-Falsafa (Urdu translation of Bertrand Russell's Problems of Philosophy )||1995||Mash'al Publishers|
|Companion to Allama Iqbal's Reconstruction of Religions Thought in Islam (Edited)||2001||Department of Philosophy Punjab University, Lahore|
|Problems of Muslim Philosophy||2002||Aziz Publishers, Lahore|
|Good Names of Allah (English translation of Asma'ul Husna of Syed Suleman Mansur Puri||2011||Paramount Publishers, Hyderabad|
|Iqbal's Concept of Death, Immortality and After-life (translated from Urdu, edited and reviewed)||2006||Iqbal Academy, Lahore|
|Problems of Muslim Mysticism||2012||Iqbal Academy, Lahore|
|As I Look Back - An Autobiography||2015||Punjab University Press, Lahore|
- Marriage in Islam , 'Pakistan Philosophical Journal', Lahore-1962.
- Social Teachings of The Qur'an , 'Iqbal', Lahore-1962.
- Ethics of Al-Ghazali ,Part of chapter no.30 in the History of Muslim Philosophy (volume 1 and 2)edited by M.M.Sharif and published by Otto Harrassowitz-Wiesbaden,Germany 1963.
- Al-Kindi and His Psychology , 'Al-Hikmat', Research Journal of the Department of Philosophy, Punjab University, Lahore 1967.
- Concept of Person in Contemporary Thought , 'Proceedings of the Pakistan Philosophical Congress, Rajh Shahi 1968.
- Ethics of Sir Sayyid Ahmad Khan , 'Iqbal', Lahore 1969.
- Al-Kindi on Philosophy and Religion , 'Al-Hikmat', Lahore 1969.
- Sir Sayyid Ahmad Khan on Prophetic Revelation , 'Pakistan Philosophical Journal', Lahore 1972.
- Iqbal on the Concept of Prayer , 'Al-Hikmat', Lahore 1973.
- Education and the Individual , 'Pakistan Philosophical Journal', Lahore 1978.
- Islamic Philosophy (Urdu) Chapter no.12 in the Anthology edited by Professor K.G.Sadiq, Lahore 1979.
- Mysticism and Metaphysics of Shah Abdul Latif , 'Pakistan philosophical Journal', Lahore.
- Iqbal on Observation of Nature and God-Knowledge , 'Iqbal review', Lahore 1979
- Sir Sayyid Ahmad Khan's Concept of Islam as the Natural Religion , 'Journal of Research', University of the Punjab, Lahore 1980.
- Reorientation of Muslim Philosophy (Urdu), 'Mah-e-Nau', Lahore 1980.
- Problems of the Eternity / Createdness of the Qur'an in Early Islam , 'journal of Research', University of the Punjab, Lahore 1980.
- Sensory Miracles: an Interpretation (Urdu), 'Hikmat-e-Qur'an', Vol.1, Lahore 1982.
- Qur'anic Mode of Reasoning (Urdu), 'Philosophical review' Vol.1, Lahore 1982.
- Language of the Qur'an (Urdu), 'Hikmat-e-Qur'an' Vol.2, Lahore 1983.
- Sir Sayyid Ahmad Khan as a Modernist , 'Pakistan Philosophical Journal', Lahore 1984.