EOS Alliance is a non-profit community organization for EOS blockchain, serving under its guiding vision Empowering EOS For All. Started as a group to help unlock the full potential of EOS, the Alliance provides a platform for collaborative, transparent decision-making and information-sharing within the EOS community.
EOS Alliance started in July 2018 with a presentation from its founder( 1 ), Brock Pierce, at the EOS Family Day in Shanghai, China. Originally named EOS Foundation , the proposed bootstrap model called for a launch with an initial board of seven appointed board members. EOS Alliance was offered to the community as an “act of service” - to help facilitate higher quality discussion in the community, a structure for reaching consensus on important issues, and publication of the process and results for wider community engagement. Though the initial board members and staff would be well-known in the blockchain space, the Alliance would seek no power and merely act as the “voice and will of the EOS community”.
Less than one month after proposal the EOS Alliance launched with a widespread press release and support from over 50 block producers, a full board of seven including prominent EOS influencers, an initial staff of three, plus multiple volunteers.
EOS Alliance Leadership
The EOS Alliance launched with a seven (7) member Board and will expand as needed in a published process.
Within 12 months the EOS Alliance intends to have a fully elected board, to include members of diverse backgrounds and geographic regions, representing a variety of EOS community stakeholders and perspectives.
Initial board members:
- A seat reserved for special appointment, held in the interim by Lightning Clearwater III, also serving as the Alliance’s General Counsel
- Brock Pierce, Chairman of the Bitcoin Foundation and former partner at Block.one
- Galia Benartzi, Co-founder of Bancor and LiquidEOS
- Peter Li, founder of EOS Gravity, a community leader and Block Producer
- Hai Feng, of EOS Store, an EOS Block Producer
- Nix Nolledo, Philippine billionaire, founder of blockchain startup ODX
- AKON, multi-platinum music artist and blockchain enthusiast
In addition, two observer seats were established for representatives to be selected by the paid block producers, via a mechanism to be decided by them.
Staff initially included interim Executive Director Thomas Cox, former Block.one VP of Product (where he led the work on EOS governance mechanisms), Deputy Executive Director Myra Wang (Dan Wang), formerly of the influential Chinese community EOS Gravity, and Communications Director Kevin Wilcox, co-founder of EOS Go.
EOS Alliance Mandate
The EOS Alliance operates with the intention of enabling everyone to have a voice in EOS, and in doing so offers the following services:
- Facilitate multi-language conversations (initially in English, Korean and Chinese) and education around key ecosystem issues, debates and developments.
- Refrain, in accordance with its bylaws, from gaining any executive power within EOS governance structures.
- Facilitate discussion and help workgroups make clear recommendations.
As its first act, the EOS Alliance formed a series of working groups with diverse community participation to inform and advise on the ecosystem’s most challenging topics.
EOS Alliance Working Groups
Initial working groups were formed to outline and facilitate conversations on the following topics:
- Dispute Resolution and Arbitration
- Code Management (GitHub)
- Constitution Drafting & Adoption
- Mission: to curate an open process ensuring broad community participation in drafting, discussing, revising, and publishing at least two Constitution drafts for consideration by referendum.
- This group intends to hold weekly video work sessions in English, Mandarin and Korean (initially) to garner input.
All EOS Alliance working groups are required by their charters to operate inclusively and transparently.
EOS Alliance Support and Sustainability
Pledges of funding were secured for the first 90 days of operation, and initial board members were tasked with further fundraising for the Alliance. Additionally, the Alliance is funded by private donations, made in EOS tokens so all transactions are public and transparent on the EOS blockchain. The EOS Alliance initially capped its budget at US $1 million per year. All EOS Alliance financial information is publicly available.
Telegram chat and announcements: https://t.me/eos_alliance