History and business model
AmazonFresh has rolled out its services gradually, targeting specific parts of various metropolitan areas and partnering with local speciality stores for delivery of local items. (The website allows users to cheque availability by ZIP code.)
- August 2007 - Mercer Island, Washington (near Seattle) - invitation-only beta test
- 2008 - Seattle area, including Kirkland and Bellevue
- June 2013 - Los Angeles
- December, 2013 - San Francisco
- July 2014 - San Diego
- October 2014 - New York City
- November 18, 2014 - Center City Philadelphia
- March 2015 - Baltimore, Maryland; Sacramento, California
- June, 2016 - Central and eastern London, Boston
- October, 2016 - Dallas, TX
In October 2016, Amazon changed the price of its membership to US$14.99/month for Amazon Prime members to use the AmazonFresh grocery delivery service in United States. Previously, AmazonFresh was US$299/year.
At launch, London Amazon Fresh customers paid £6.99 per month on top of an Amazon Prime membership, plus delivery fees on any orders under £40.
AmazonFresh offers grocery items for sale, as well as a subset of items from the main Amazon.com storefront. Items ordered through AmazonFresh are available for home delivery on the same day or the next day, depending on the time of the order and the availability of trucks. Examples of grocery items for sale are pre-cooked turkeys, pumpkin pie, and wine.