The Decatur Daily is a daily newspaper serving Decatur, Alabama and the Tennessee Valley in the North Alabama area of the United States. As of September 30, 2006, it had an average daily circulation of 20,824 and a Sunday circulation of 23,840. Along with The Anniston Star, it is one of only two family-owned daily newspapers remaining in Alabama.
For over 100 years, The Decatur Daily has played a major role in the economic and community development of the Tennessee Valley. It was first published on February 26, 1912 under the banner of The Decaturs Daily, serving the towns of Decatur and New Decatur. After 1916, when New Decatur was renamed Albany, the paper was called The Albany-Decatur Daily. When the two towns were consolidated in 1927, it assumed its present title.
The newspaper is published by the Tennessee Valley Printing Co., Inc., formed in 1911. William R. Shelton was the primary owner and first publisher. He served in this capacity until his death in 1924, and was succeeded by his son Barrett C. Shelton, Sr. Barrett C. Shelton, Jr. has been publisher since 1984, and Barrett C. "Clint" Shelton III today serves as general manager.
On April 1, 2009, The Tennessee Valley Printing Company purchased the TimesDaily newspaper in Florence, Alabama, from the New York Times Regional News Group.