Founded as a weekly in 1858, the Herald has published daily since at least 1916. Two dailies, The Record-Republican and the Washington C.H. Herald, merged in 1937 to form the current newspaper, which was known as the Washington C.H. Record-Herald before dropping the city name and the hyphen in 1972.
The newspaper was owned by Cincinnati's Brown Publishing Company before that company went bankrupt and was reconstituted as Ohio Community Media in 2010. The company, including the Record Herald, was purchased for an undisclosed sum in 2011 by Philadelphia-based Versa Capital Management.
In 2012 Versa merged Ohio Community Media, former Freedom papers it had acquired, Impressions Media, and Heartland Publications into a new company, Civitas Media. Civitas Media sold its Ohio papers to AIM Media Midwest in 2017.