Pokhara University ( PU or PoU Nepali: पोखरा विश्वविद्यालय ) was established in 1996 as Nepal's fifth university.  Its central office is in Pokhara Lekhnath municipality, Kaski district, Western Development Region. Along with Purbanchal University, PU was formed as part of the government's policy for improved access to higher education. The prime minister is the university chancellor and the minister for education is the pro-chancellor. The vice chancellor is the principal administrator of the university.
Pokhara University is in Khudi-Dhungepatan, Pokhara Lekhnath Municipality of Kaski district, 13 km east of Pokhara city (Prithvi Chowk), i.e., 8 km from Bijaypur bridge. It has built an academic complex in the serene and scenic location of Seven Lake City, Lekhnath, in the lap of the Himalayan range and peaks such as Mt. Machhapuchre, Mt. Dhawlagiri and Mt. Annapurna. In addition, Begnas Lake and Rupa Lake are within walking distance of its academic complex and central office.
School of Engineering, School of Health & Allied Sciences, The School of Business and The School of Development and Social Engineering are on the bank of the Khudi river.
Pokhara University started its academic activities guided by the Pokhara University Act of 1996. To achieve its objectives, a semester system based curriculum and evaluation were set up.
- Pokhara University has four Constituent Schools where Bachelor's, Master's degrees and PhD programs are running,
- There are 57 academic institutions under its affiliation with Bachelor, Master, M.Phil and PhD. degrees programs,
- Pokhara University has a Central Office building, Examination Office building, and Academic building in Khudi-Dhungepatan, Lekhnath Municipality.
The university uses a semester system. All bachelor's degrees are of four years (delivered over eight semesters) and master's degrees are of two years (delivered over four semesters). M. Phil degree is of one and half years (three semesters).
There are Four faculties:
- Faculty of Sciences and Technology
- Faculty of Management Studies
- Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences
- Faculty of Health Sciences
Pokhara University has signed memoranda of understanding (MoU) with national and international institutions:
- Ball State University, (Indiana, USA) [entered on March 8, 2000]
- Showa Pharmaceutical University, (Tokyo, Japan) [entered in November 8, 2001]
- Institute of Oriental Medicine, Dongguk University, (Kyungpook, Korea) [entered in November 14, 2001]
- Institute of Natural Medicine, Toyama Medical and Pharmaceutical University, (Toyama, Japan) [entered in December 24, 2001]
- University of Roorkee (presently Indian Institute of Technology), (Roorkee, India) [entered in October 13, 2002]
- National University Corporation Ehime University, (Japan) [entered in May 28, 2006]
- Independent University, (Bangladesh) [entered in August 14, 2007]
- Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Faculty of Medical and Pharmaceutical Sciences, Kumamoto University, (Kumamoto, Japan) [entered in 2007]
- Bodo University College, (Norway) [entered in August 11, 2008]
- Punjab University, (Chandigarh, India) [entered in February 19, 2009]
- Sun Moon University, Korea and the College of Law of Sun Moon University [entered in November 19, 2009]
- Asian Institute of Technology, (Bangkok, Thailand) [entererd in December 10, 2009]
- University of Tromso, (Norway) [entered in January 5, 2010]
- Institute of Foreign Trade and Management, (UP, India) [entered in January 18, 2010]
- KIIT University, (Bhubaneswar, India) [entered in February 3, 2010]
- Information Technology Research Institute and BK21 U-Business Service Model and Platform Research Team and Information System Sector in Graduate School of Business IT, Kookmin University, (Seoul, Korea) [entered in February 25, 2010]
- Jilin University, (China) [entered in March 14, 2010]
- IUBAT- International University of Business Agriculture and Technology, (Dhaka, Bangladesh) [entered in July 6, 2010]
- Kingston College, (United Kingdom)
- Yonsei Biomolecule Research Initiative (BK21), Yonsei University, (Korea)
- Central Queensland University, (Australia)
- University of Sains, (Penang, Malaysia)
- Hanoi University of Science, (Hanoi, Vietnam)
- Kumamoto University, (Japan)
- Institute of Technology Sepuluh, (Surabaya, Indonesia)
- University Under Forum for Integrated Development of Eleventh University (FIND - 11), (Indonesia)
- Sichuan University, (People’s Republic of China)
- Institute of Business Management, (Pakistan)
- College of Engineering, Pukyong National University, (Busan, Korea)
- University of Science and Technology Beijing, (People's Republic of China)
- University of Warsaw, (Poland)
- Università degli Studi di Roma Tor Vergata, (Italy)
- Padova University, (Italy)
- NIA, (Korea)
- School of Business
- School of Health and Allied Sciences (Formerly, School of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Sciences)
- School of Engineering
- School of Development and Social Engineering
- ATLANTIC INTERNATIONAL COLLEGE GALKOPAKHA, THAMEL
- Rapti Engineering College,Ghorai,Dang
- Atharva Business College, Bansbari, Maharajgunj, Kathmandu, Nepal
- Pokhara University School of engineering, Dhungepatan Kaski Nepal
- Shahid Ramnath Dahal Memorial College (MRM), Balaju, Kathmandu
- Ace Institute of Management (AIM), New Baneshwor, Kathmandu
- Apex College, Baneshwor, Kathmandu
- Brihaspati College, Siddharthanagar-5, Rupandehi
- College of Computer Technology, Devinagar, Butwal-13, Rupandehi
- Cosmos College of Management & Technology, Tutepani, Lalitpur
- Everest Engineering and Management College (EEMC), Baneshwor; Kathmandu ]
- Nepal Engineering College (NEC), Changunarayan, Bhaktapur
- Oxford college of engineering and management, ( OCEM) Gaidakot, Nawalparasi
- Gandaki College of Engineering and Science, Lamachour, Pokhara
- Institute of Advance Communication, Education & Research, Baneshwor, Ktm.
- Lumbini Engineering College, Butwal, Rupandehi.
- National Academy of Science & Technology, Dhangadhi
- National Open College (NOC) Sanepa, Lalitpur
- Nepal College of Computer Studies, Gaindakot-2, Nawalparasi
- Nepal College of Information Technology (NCIT), Balkumari, Lalitpur
- Nepal Engineering College (NEC), Changunarayan, Bhaktapur
- Nepal Tourism & Hotel Management College, Chinnedanda, Pokhara
- Nobel College, Sinamangal, Kathmandu.
- Pokhara College of Management Studies, New Road, Pokhara
- Pokhara Engineering College (PEC) Phirke-8, Pokhara
- Pokhara College of Technology (currently known as LA GRANDEE International College (LGIC)), Simalchour-8, Pokhara
- School of Environmental Mgt. Sustainable Dev (SchEMS) 62/38 Siddhicharan Marg Shantinagar, New Baneshwor
- Tilottama Campus Yogikuti, Butwal, Rupandehi
- South Asian Institute of Management (SAIM), Patan, Lalitpur
- Universal Science College (USC) Maitidevi, Kathmandu.
- V.S. Niketan College, Min Bhawan, Kathmandu
- Camad college sukedhara, Kathmandu.
- Ritz college of hospitality and management, balkumari,lalitpur
- Nepal Western Management and Engineering College Dhangadhi Kailali
- Boston International College, Bharatpur-9, Hakim chowk, Chitwan
- Liberty college, Anamnagar, Kathmandu