Nicholas James Vujicic (// VOY-ich-ich; Serbian: [ʋûjitʃitɕ]; born 4 December 1982) is an Australian Christian evangelist and motivational speaker born with Phocomelia, a rare disorder characterised by the absence of legs and arms.
Early life and family
Vujicic was born in Melbourne, Victoria, in 1982. His parents, Dušanka and Borislav Vujičić, were devout Serbian Orthodox emigrants from Yugoslavia. His parents became active in a Melbourne church. His mother attended nursing school at the Royal Children's Hospital in Melbourne while his father worked in business management. Suffering from phocomelia, he was born without limbs. According to Vujicic's autobiography, his mother refused to see him or hold him while the nurse held him in front of her, but she and her husband eventually accepted their son's condition and understood it as God's plan for their son.
He was born with two small deformed feet, one of which Vujicic calls his "chicken drumstick" because of its shape. Originally, he was born with the toes of that foot fused. An operation was performed to separate the toes so that he could use them as fingers to grab, turn a page, or perform other functions. Vujicic has been able to use his foot to operate an electric wheelchair, a computer and a mobile phone. Vujicic notes that he had an "amazingly normal childhood".
Vujicic thrived in his teenage and young adult years despite being bullied. After his mother showed him a newspaper article about a man dealing with a severe disability when he was seventeen, he started to give talks at his prayer group.
Vujicic started his speaking engagements at 19. In 2005, he founded an international non-profit organisation and ministry, Life Without Limbs.
In 2007, Vujicic founded Attitude is Altitude, a secular motivational speaking company.
On his webpages, Vuijic in a self-formulated "Statement of Faith" states his adherence to born-again Christianity, to classically Calvinist notions on sin and redemption and to Biblical inerrancy without specifying what particular understanding of Biblical inerrancy he intends to mean. In addition, his tenets of faith include that the Second Coming of Christ is imminent. He does not publicly adhere to any denomination or congregation.
On 12 February 2012, Vujicic married Kanae Miyahara. The couple has two sons, and live in Southern California.
Books and publications
His first book, Life Without Limits: Inspiration for a Ridiculously Good Life, was published by Random House in 2010 and has been translated into more than 30 languages. He markets a motivational DVD, Life's Greater Purpose, a short documentary filmed in 2005. The second part of the DVD was filmed at his local church in Brisbane. He markets a DVD for young people titled No Arms, No Legs, No Worries!.
- Life Without Limits: Inspiration of a Ridiculously Good Life (2010). ISBN 978-0307589743
- Your Life Without Limits (2012). ISBN 978-0307731043
- Limitless: Devotions for a Ridiculously Good Life (2013). ISBN 978-0307730916
- Unstoppable: The Incredible Power of Faith in Action (2013). ISBN 978-0307730893
- The Power of Unstoppable Faith (2014). ISBN 978-1601426765
- Stand Strong (2015). ISBN 978-1601427823
- Love Without Limits (2016). ISBN 978-1601426185
- Hirotada Ototake, a Japanese sports writer and another survivor of tetra-amelia syndrome
- Joanne O'Riordan from Ireland, an award winning personality with tetra-amelia syndrome.
- Jennifer Bricker, an American acrobat born without legs
- Todd Huston, an American motivational speaker, author, mountain climber, and inventor