Kevin Strahle (born January 6, 1984), better known as the L.A. Beast, is an American professional competitive eater who hosts a challenge-based channel on YouTube. Strahle started making videos in his hometown of Ridgewood, New Jersey then moved to Los Angeles, California . After several years at his home in California, he moved back to his hometown of Ridgewood, in New Jersey. As of December 2016, his channel has over 1.7 million subscribers, over 244 million total views. In addition to his online presence, he has made appearances on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno, The Today Show Australia and Tosh.0.
In 2015, Strahle led a successful campaign to bring back the soft drink Crystal Pepsi.
As a child, Strahle developed a love for eating and later used his natural bulk to join the football team at Ridgewood High School. It was there he learned the value of goals and his signature never-give-up attitude. In his free time he would often accept money from his classmates to complete outrageous food challenges.
After high school, Strahle was recruited to play football for the Fordham Rams of Fordham University in New York. In his four years on the team, he started on the offensive line in almost every game for the 2004-2006 seasons.
In 2008, Strahle moved to Los Angeles and obtained a job working for Pepsi. After two years of service, he quit after a manager told him he wasn't "persistent enough" to be a salesman within PepsiCo. That criticism would later drive him to spearhead the 'Bring Back Crystal Pepsi' campaign.
While Strahle was in Los Angeles, he uploaded his first YouTube video where he performed a milk chugging challenge. Noticing the positive response the video received, he started his own channel under the user name "skippy62able". Having completed Fatburger's XXXL burger challenge, Strahle's roommate commented that he was 'a beast' for finishing it so fast. Starting in 2011, Strahle would often refer to himself as either "Beast" or "L.A. Beast", eventually choosing the latter as his official nickname.
In September 2015, Strahle and fellow eaters Takeru Kobayashi, Bob Shoudt, Patrick Bertoletti and Tim Brown assembled in Chicago, Illinois to consume an entire cooked goat. This eating challenge was performed with the intention of lifting the infamous Chicago Cubs curse. The Cubs would go on to win the World Series the following year.
In 2012, Strahle was ranked the 16th best competitive eater in the world, and ranked 17th in 2013.
In June 2012, Strahle consumed 25 hot dogs in 10 minutes at the Nathan’s Famous Hot Dog Eating Contest qualifier in Cleveland, Ohio. Though Strahle lost to eating veteran Crazy Legs Conti, he was beaten by only a quarter of a hot dog.
On May 3, 2017, Strahle broke the Guinness World Record for the most chicken nuggets eaten in 3 minutes by consuming 642.12 grams (22.650 oz) of chicken nuggets beating the previous record of 531 g (18.7 oz).
Later that morning, Strahle also broke the Guinness World Record for the most bhut jolokia peppers eaten in 2 minutes by consuming 121.9 grams (4.30 oz) of peppers, beating the previous record of 66 grams (2.3 oz).
On May 12, 2017, Strahle broke two additional Guinness World Records for both the most powdered doughnuts eaten in 3 minutes, and the record for fastest time to drink a 32-ounce bottle (0.95 l) of pure maple syrup. The previous record for most powdered doughnuts eaten in 3 minutes was 6 doughnuts, set by Shamus Petherick of Australia. It was beaten when Strahle managed to consume 9 whole doughnuts in the same amount of time. For the second record, Strahle drank 32 US fluid ounces (0.95 l) of pure maple syrup in 10.84 seconds, beating the former record of 26 seconds.
"Bring Back Crystal Pepsi" movement
In April 2015, Strahle rallied his fans to comment on Pepsi's official social media accounts with the hashtag "#BringBackCrystalPEPSI" in an effort to revive the once-popular soft drink. This led to the creation of a Change.org petition and as of August 2016, it has over 34,000 signatures. The popularity of the movement also produced 15 billboards placed all around the Los Angeles area.
On June 8, 2015, Strahle received a message from Pepsi via Twitter, acknowledging his efforts to get Crystal Pepsi brought back to store shelves and hinting at the soft drink's potential return. The next day, a Pepsi spokeswoman confirmed the message's authenticity.
On December 8, 2015, Pepsi announced the re-release of Crystal Pepsi in a limited quantity sweepstakes. On June 2016, Pepsi announced that Crystal Pepsi will be released in the US on August 8, 2016 for an eight-week run.
- Two cacti
- The entire menu of burgers from the Burger King menu while wearing a shock collar
- A 5-pound bag (2.3 kg) of Haribo sugarless gummy bears
- Two jars of Vegemite
- An entire watermelon, including the rind
- 2 Chocolate Bhutlah Peppers
- 21 dimes covered in olive oil
- A 72-ounce steak meal in less than an hour
- A cluster of bananas and drinking two liters of Sprite
- An entire pineapple
- Two wooden pencils
- 27 ghost peppers, including A video from 2011.
- 110 McDonald's Chicken Nuggets
- 50 cloves of raw garlic in four minutes
- 5 light bulbs in under 10 minutes
- Drinking a 20-year-old bottle of Crystal Pepsi
- A gallon of honey while covered with bees
- A whole bottle of Syrup of ipecac
- A mixture of milk and Red Bull from a 3-liter beer glass
- Two liters of Sprite and a cluster of bananas
- Drinking a whole Mega Gulp iced drink as fast as possible, afterwards trying to cross a butter-covered floor with an armful of presents, then suffering from a compound fracture of one of his toes after falling and hitting a fridge
- A gallon of Habanero Tabasco sauce
- Approximately 3 pounds of Sriracha
- An entire bottle of Cristal Champagne
- 24,000 calories worth of olive oil from a 3-liter beer glass
- 50 raw eggs in two and a half minutes
- A gallon of curdled milk
- Inserting his hand into a jar full of hot ice and burning his hand
- Placing his hands inside gloves filled with bullet ants for 10 minutes
- Solving a Rubik's Cube blindfolded while walking barefoot over a large pile of Lego bricks
- Inhaling various vaporized alcoholic beverages
- Ripping 30 phone books in half in 3 minutes
Strahle currently holds four Guinness World Records, which include the following feats:
- Most chicken nuggets eaten in 3 minutes (642.12 grams). Beating the record previously held by Todd Fernley (531 grams) on 26th February 2016.
- Most Bhut Jolokia chilli peppers (Ghost Peppers) eaten in two minutes.
- Most powdered doughnuts eaten in three minutes.
- Fastest Time to Drink a 32 oz. Bottle of Maple Syrup.