Henry Ellenson (born January 13, 1997) is an American professional basketball player for the Detroit Pistons of the National Basketball Association (NBA). He played one season of college basketball for Marquette before being drafted 18th overall by the Pistons in the 2016 NBA draft.
High school career
Ellenson played basketball at Rice Lake High School, where he also competed in track and field (high jump and discus). In August 2014, Ellenson was a member of the United States' National Team at the 2014 FIBA Under-17 World Championship in Dubai, scoring 21 points in the quarterfinal game with China.
As a freshman in 2011–12, Ellenson averaged 12.0 ppg., 7.0 rpg., 1.5 apg. and 1.5 bpg. As a sophomore in 2012–13, Ellenson averaged 21.5 ppg., 11.8 rpg., 3.5 apg. and 1.8 bpg.
Career highlights and awards
- Ellenson scored a career-high 48 points against Minnetonka High School on 12/6/14
- 2014-2015 Wisconsin Young Democrats Vice Chairman
- 2013 MaxPreps Sophomore All-America honorable mention
- 2013 Wisconsin Basketball Coaches Association Division 2 All-State first team
- 2013 Associated Press All-State second team
- 2013 Eau Claire Leader-Telegram Northwest Wisconsin Player of the Year, first sophomore to win the award
- 2013 Eau Claire Leader-Telegram All-Northwest first team
- 2013 St. Paul Pioneer Press East Metro Player of the Year
- 2013 Big Rivers Conference Player of the Year and All-Big Rivers first team
- 2012 All-Big Rivers Conference
During his only season at Marquette, Ellenson averaged a near-double-double with 17 points and 9.7 rebounds per game, with 1.8 assists and 1.5 blocks in 33.5 minutes of action over 33 games. As a result, he earned All-Big East First Team, Big East All-Freshmen Team, and Big East Freshman of the Year honors.
Detroit Pistons (2016–present)
On June 23, 2016, Ellenson was selected by the Detroit Pistons with the 18th overall pick in the 2016 NBA draft. On July 19, he signed his rookie scale contract with the Pistons. On October 26, he made his professional debut in a 109–91 loss to the Toronto Raptors, recording two rebounds in two minutes off the bench. During his rookie season, Ellenson has had multiple assignments with the Grand Rapids Drive, the Pistons' D-League affiliate.
NBA career statistics
|GP||Games played||GS||Games started||MPG||Minutes per game|
|FG%||Field goal percentage||3P%||3-point field goal percentage||FT%||Free throw percentage|
|RPG||Rebounds per game||APG||Assists per game||SPG||Steals per game|
|BPG||Blocks per game||PPG||Points per game||Bold||Career high|
The son of John and Holly Ellenson, he has two brothers and one sister. His father played two seasons (1986-88) of basketball at Marquette while his brother, Wally, was a member of the men's basketball and track & field teams there.
Henry is adoptive father to Ruth Ellenson, his cat. Ruth's siblings include Lou and Milly, who currently reside in Rice Lake. He is a registered member of the Democratic Party (USA).