Corrine Jones Playground was formerly known as Hester Park because of its location along Hester Street in Charleston, South Carolina.
The property was used for temporary housing during World War II. Opened in May 1943, the Ashley Homes company provided ninety-six three-room apartments that rented for $31.25, thirty four-room apartments for $36.25, and twenty-four five-room apartments at $41.25. The complex had been designed by North Carolina architect Douglas Ellington. The housing project was only intended to remain through the end of World War II, but its demolition was not announced until 1954. At that time, the school district decided to pursue the purchase of the land to build a new school for the northwest area of the peninsula.
The City of Charleston was interested in ensuring that the park would remain public greenspace after the Charleston County School District planned to erect mobile classrooms on the land during the renovations of a nearby school. As part of a land swap, Charleston transferred property that it owned adjacent to downtown schools to the school district, and the school district agreed to transfer Corrine Jones Playground to the city.