The Brenham Banner-Press is a newspaper based in Brenham, Texas, covering the Washington County area of Texas. It is published on weekday afternoons and Sunday mornings. It is owned by Hartman Newspapers.
The newspaper was originally named the Southern Banner when it was founded in 1866, favoring Democratic political perspectives the on Reconstruction Era. Under editor John Gilbert Rankin, it was known as the Brenham Banner from 1871-1876 in semiweekly and weekly editions. It became a daily in 1876, published by Rankin and a man named Levin. From 1877-1907, a weekly Banner also was published by Rankin and a man named McCrimmon.
The Brenham Daily Press was founded by George Tucker and operated from 1893-1913, when it merged with the Banner owners to form the Brenham Daily Banner Press, which published as a daily and weekly from 1913-1926. It took on its current name after 1926. In 1967, the company started printing many area weekly newspapers. Hartman Newspapers bought the property in 1986.
Publishers George A.T. Neu and Tom Whitehead Sr. were presidents of the Texas Press Association in 1927 and 1959, respectively. Charles Moser was publisher from 1970-2009 and is currently publisher emeritus.